Four Color process is a process to create different shades
of color by using only four
Process Cyan, Process
This is created by tiny dots
of various density overlapping one another that fool the
eye into seeing solid shades of
color instead of a large amount of dots. Almost all color
magazine printing is done this way
(take a magnifying glass and look at a magazine photo to
see this effect). In doing this
you will see a pattern to the dots, this pattern is called
Color prints submitted must show proper representation
• The original file must be in layers and the text
should be separate from the
• Thin lines, text, or large solid backgrounds should
be printed as a solid process
color or a single spot color (using a pms color or a color
match for the
• Due to registration complications, white text,
knocking out of a four color image,
needs to be created with one of the following options:
• Opaque white.
• Given a black outline.
• If text is small and background color is light,
change the color of the text to black and overprint it.
• TNT SIGNS will determine which LPI is appropriate,
according to the size of the
item and art being printed.
Art is normally sent on disk and should include:
• Copies of the original documents. (usually Quark,
Illustrator and Photoshop)
• Include ALL original EPS and Tiff files to size at
100%. The resolution can be NO LESS than 300 DPI.
• Fonts that were used to create art and/or convert
all text to paths.
FILE SPECIFICS -•
• JPG and GIF file formats are usually not accepted.
The resolution is
normally 72 DPI, which is too low to produce a quality
They are mostly used for viewing purposes and web
design. (The resolution
can be NO LESS than 300 DPI)
• The Mode for Photoshop EPS and Tiff files must be CMYK. RGB files are
not accepted, due to the color shifting on the viewing
and printing spectrum.
• Art may need to be adjusted by TNT SIGNS to compensate for
possible dot gain and dot loss.
• If a TIFF or EPS is used to bleed off the
The art must allow 1/4" on all sides for the
bleed, due to shifting and reducing
the art, allowing for cut margin requirements. If we have
to create the
bleed, art charges may apply and more time may be added.
White must be printed behind all 4-Color Process
Images on all clear materials.
• Specialty colors such as Metallic, Fluorescents,
and PMS color matches
should be done as spot colors for best results.